The Haunting Of Hill House, Shirley Jackson - Review

Now we're all in lockdown, I decided to make a serious effort to read those forgotten books that have lived next to my bed for a good few months (more like a year) and first on my list was The Haunting of Hill House (1959) by Shirley Jackson. 

I didn't really know what to expect when I bought this book. I'd read Jackson's We have always lived in the Castle and the book was a rollercoaster of twists and turns so I didn't really expect a traditional 'haunted house' story and the book definitely fulfilled my expectations.

The book is ultimately centred around Dr Montague, who decides to investigate Hill House for potential spiritual activity with the aid of three others; Eleanor, Theodora and Luke. The predictability of a typical 'haunted house' book comes in the night with the ghosts and phantom arms that aren't really there. But, the unexpected nature of this book is the psychological road it takes you down. 
The psychological element of the book is a stand out factor that sets it apart from other 'ghost' stories within the genre. 

The book is so thought provoking and as you read it you start to wonder who, or what is the cause and nature of the 'hauntings' and possession. Shirley Jackson's writing style is incredible, the story is descriptive enough to convey the imposing nature of Hill House without feeling drawn out overly descriptive. A character taking ten chapters to enter a building is one of my reading pet peeves, but Jackson finds the perfect balance of creating an atmosphere, whilst maintaining a fast paced story. 

I read this book in two days and couldn't put it down, I loved it and would recommend for anyone looking to start reading Shirley Jackson's work. 






























Comments