Calypso, David Sedaris - Review

As the days and weeks have been merging into one, I went on a bit of a mad one and bought some books I would never normally read. The first being David Sedaris' Calypso. I've seen reviews stating this was the funniest book people had ever read and others saying it wasn't their cup of tea and was too self indulgent.

Honestly, Calypso (2018) was one of the funniest books I've ever read. I laughed, I cried and the book is a perfect mix of humour and sincerity. This really is one of those books that sits on a shelf all on its own. It's a genre of its own.
Sedaris has a unique way of commenting on subject matters that vary from everyday life to dark and troubling. Yet something about the way the book is written and constructed makes me feel as though I were talking to a friend over coffee. My favourite chapter by far was 'Your English Is So Good', I literally belly laughed so much while I was reading this!

I haven't read any more of Sedaris' work so can't comment on how this compares to his other books but Calypso really stands out as one of my favourite books I've read this year. I've ordered a modest amount (far too much) of Sedaris' work to read because I can't get enough. So keep an eye out for a few (a lot) more reviews on Sedaris' books!










Comments